Hotel Sales in the Era of COVID-19!
We've been talking to planners about contracts, negotiations and the new meeting styles, but what about Hotel Sales Managers? Yes, there are ways to fill rooms out there! Just a chance to get creative!
Here are some tactics I've used to fill rooms when things are VERY quiet....some are a bit odd, but I've used them all, and I guarantee they all work...!
- Contact local extermination companies; when they need to "tent" a house for termites, where do the owners stay? I called it the "Great Bug-Out Rate"
- Contact funeral homes and extend a rate and a telephone number, for out of town visitors for funerals
- Contact local churches, temples, synagogues and mosques for wedding blocks
- Call local universities.. do they need student or faculty housing? Do their teams need to be in a "bubble" environment?
- Can your local university host an Elderhostel, when seniors spend an extended period learning about the local area, golf, birding, history, etc.?
- When a timeshare destination extends a comp for their "Sales Visit," many times, the guest wants to extend their stay. Time-shares extend comps to get more showings, so have them send their overflow to your hotel;
- For hospitals and first-responders.. do they need overnight accommodations when they are pulling multiple shifts? Can you extend a rate for those staffers, and any family in town visiting a family member?
- Many casinos give out comps, much like time-share... can you extend a rate for guests who want to stay past their allotted 2-3 nights?
- Many airlines are re-negotiating their crew rooms contracts. Call them and see if you can get in contention.
- Put an ad in the business section of your paper-- promote a WFH -- Work From Hotel Day Rate, with in-room internet, coffee and a box-lunch included; Give a multi-day rate for 2 or more days
While none of these are going to offset the massive cancellations we've had, they are a good way to get things started a bit at your hotel and get some guests back in the building!
Good luck-- please call or write if I can help you!